Saturday, 21 June 2008

Happy Birthday Dad! + extra


It's my Dad's birthday tomorrow (he's going to be 52, but he doesn't look it ^_^). Anyway, that means I have to make a card for him (not that it's a chore or anything, I love doing it!). I was originally going to do a Tom and Jerry card, as they're his very very favourite, but I got this idea of a cute daddy's-little-girl image instead whilst looking at pages from a Flintstones Golden Book (I think it was on a certain Mel Crawford's blog).

I tried to capture the painting style of the illustrations...and pretty much failed. I am also going to use the age old excuse of "my scanner totally ruined the colours"...'cos it's true.

Also, I used a photo of me lying on my dad's chest when I was a newborn for reference....I would post it for comparison, but my dad happens to be shirtless in it and I'm not sure he would want me to put it on the internet anyway.



* * *



I've been trying to get into using watercolours, so here's a sexy yet nipple-less genie. I kinda like it, but I admit that it's generic. I wasn't really focussing on what she looked like, more the colour. Which is blue. 'Cos genies=blue is imprinted in my mind.

(I loved Aladdin)

I have this bad habit of drawing girls with their arms behind their back...I think it's because I don't know what I want the arms to be doing.


Here's some guy, as I don't draw guys enough. I get the feeling that if he was a real person, I wouldn't like him.

4 comments:

Kali Fontecchio said...

Aww what a cute gift for you dad! Ya that's my favorite golden book ever- I think it cost like 5 bucks at a swap meet, hahah.

Lynsey said...

Yeah, I remember seeing one of your studies of a page from it or one like it on John K's blog (which was so cool, btw)... I love the way it's painted, and how some of the colours in it are "wrong" (like Fred's green shirt thingy)

Wow, you must know where the best swap meets are!!

amir avni said...

Nice stuff Lynsey!

Katie said...

Wow, that's beautiful...you must be a daddy's girl!! I am too! :)

Super cute drawings!